By Dawn Kepler, Project Administrator
In April 2018, new Medicare cards will be sent out and the new card will include a new Medicare Number. The mailing for these new cards will be staggered throughout the year and it is expected to end by April 2019.
Here are 8 Things to Know about Your New Medicare Card:
- Medicare will mail you a new card, and this change will help prevent identity theft.
- Social Security Numbers are being removed from Medicare cards, and instead, you will receive a Medicare Number on your new card that is unique to you.
- Your Medicare coverage and benefits will NOT change as a result of the new card and Medicare Number.
- The new Medicare cards are scheduled to be mailed between June 2018 and April 2019 in Michigan, but they will arrive in waves so your neighbor’s card may arrive at a different time than yours.
- You can confirm the Social Security Administration (SSA) has your correct mailing address by calling 1-800-772‐1213 (TTY number: 1-800-325-0778) or logging into your online SSA account at ssa.gov/myaccount.
- Protect your identity by destroying your old card as soon as you receive your new Medicare card.
- Beware of scams that will contact you about your new card. Medicare will NEVER ask you to give personal information in order to receive your new card and Medicare Number.
- Below is a sample of the new Medicare card to give you an idea of what yours will look like.
For additional information, here are additional resources for your review.